Saturday, December 05, 2009

The Passing of a Legend

I read that Liam Clancy passed away in Ireland. I saw the Clancy Brothers several times over the years, the last time being at the Bob Dylan Thirtieth Anniversary Concert that was held in Madison Square Garden in New York City. That was a good number of years ago. The Clancy Brothers sang Mr. Dylan's "When The Ship Comes In." It was a wonderful night, so many artists contributing their time and talent to honor one of the living legends of American music.
When the Clancy Brothers sang, I felt as if I was transported to the most beautiful parts of Ireland. Irish music and people are beautiful. The Brothers were a real gift to the world. I believe that music can raise hearts and change them. Music can and does make a positive and healing difference in this world. I will miss the Clancy Brothers but am glad they are together once again, in a place not really all that far from here.
We were supposed to get snow today but it never arrived. I feels cold enough to snow, but the skies are clear and no clouds are on the horizon. Perhaps it snowed further up north.
This essay of mine ran in today's paper, the Rockdale Citizen. I write a column for the paper every Saturday. The office is right here in Conyers and it has been a pleasure to me to write for them.

No comments: